Monday 28 May 2012

Leeds Zombie Film Festival - A short story



This brief has been one of the biggest that I have undertaken on the course, and has some of the most and best quality deliverables of any I have made in terms of design. This brief originally appealed to me because I saw the potential to use illustration again as a form of event promotion by creating an illustrative identity for the brief. I chose to approach this in a character design format. 

The brief got off to a good start and I had some interesting ideas fairly quickly. It finally took shape when I settled on the idea of creating s false reality based in the cold war era, communicated similarly to classic cold war propaganda of the tim but with the nuclear bomb replaced by the zombie virus. I quickly saw my way to making this into a large scale illustrative brief. 

The biggest weakness I had during this brief was overcomplicating things. There was a point where my creativity was hugely stifled because I couldn't figure out how to rename the zombie film festival to a more 'realistic' name for the scenario and still have people know what it was. The solution was actually simple; don't rename it. It didn't actually need renaming, zombie film festival is fine. I think that this was an important lesson, as spending too much time on a brief for a long stint can be counterproductive. 

My main strength within the brief is probably the quantity of work produced. There is a lot of content across the range, including illustrations and layout, and this is the first time I have ever really made a publication. I think the majority of the resolutions came out really well and I'm generally really happy with the brief. I think that the printed resolutions could be slightly better quality, but it is the designs themselves that I am most happy with. This is definitely the kind of thing that I want to carry on working with in my future outside the course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment